News, Software & Java Forum Index

All times are GMT - 4 Hours

<  JavaScript  ~  JavaScript/Java Problem --

QiSoftware
Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Admin Joined: 14 Sep 2004 Posts: 184 Location: USA
I recently downloaded the Mac version of Firefox. I have had an on going issue with the mixture of Java and Javascript I use on certain pages of the Wired Pages site and Mac versions of the Mozilla/Netscape browsers, including the new release of Firefox.

The problem occurs when the user requests something from a Java interface [for example the weather for Madrid, Spain on the home page]. The page is never refreshed but returns the weather information requested. If the user then tries to insert something into a javascript text box on the same page he will be unable to do so. The java interface will not release the focus for Javascript but will refocus for another java interface on the page.

I have found a work around, however it is so invasive I have only integrated this measure on the home page of the site. It involves refreshing the page if the user clicks on a javascript text box after leaving a java interface. An extreme measure. Safari has a similar issue, however I was able to correct the problem without refreshing the page.

You can test this for yourself... As I already mentioned the fix was integrated on the home page. Pages without the fix include the Real Estate, Business, Reference, and Technology pages and once again only for Mac versions of Netscape and Mozilla browsers.

Anyone have any ideas for another work around or maybe weigh in on whether the correction is too extreme... I would love to get feed back from Mac users.. or developers also anxious about cross-platform issues.

Thanks,

Q...

WiredPages
Business Directory
Automotive
Business & Financial
Technology
Health Services
Homes & Services
Dining & Travel
Shops & Services
Entertainment & Media